Sunday, March 22, 2009

Coupon Nerd

So in the last 6 months I have become a coupon fanatic....yes, I know it sounds silly to some people. I would have thought so too a year ago. Collecting and using coupons on a regular basis seemed like a weird "soccer mom" thing to do. BUT, I am all about good deals so when we started getting the Sunday paper I decided to give it a whirl. And I'm hooked. 
Not that anyone cares, haha, but I thought I would share my experience today. 
K-Mart does "double coupons" every month or so. They will double the value of manufacturers coupons up to and including $2. I am NOT a K-mart shopper usually....in fact, the only time I go is when they have double coupon days, but it is definitely worth it. 
We live on a budget, and couponing helps A LOT. 
Today I went on a K-mart run to take advantage of the double coup. days and this is how I came out.

Everything pictured above, which includes:
Dove Shampoo
Dove Conditioner
Suave Shampoo
Gillette Mens Shampoo
Gillette Mens Body Wash
ReNuZit Odor Eliminator Spray
Natures Source Bathroom Cleaner
Glade Carpet Refresher
Cling Toilet Cleaner
2 Satincare Shave Gels
2 Secret Deodarants
Cascade Rinse Agent
Nyquil
2 Fridge Pack Arm & Hammer Baking Sodas
Crest Toothpaste
Halls Cough Drops
Irish Spring Body Wash
2 Packs of Carefree Liners
4 Pk Soliel Razors

Thats 23 Items. Keep in mind these are all name brand items. The Dove and Gillette shampoos alone cost $4 to $5 each at full price.

Anyway, my original balance was EXACTLY $69.00 before tax.

After Coupons, I paid $20.18 total!! Heck yes! 
:)  I am proud of myself. 

Our K-mart doesn't have much available as far as groceries go, but most grocery stores around here double coupons up to $.60 anyway, so I always take advantage of that too. 
My Friend Susan is a coupon fanatic as well. She blogged about it once and I got inspired on how to best organize my coupons from her. It's frustrating to try to use them if you don't have a good system down, and hers works for me. 
At least I know SHE will appreciate this blog, even if no one else does. Ha!
(I don't think anyone reads this anyway)

Honestly, if anyone is living on a budget, or trying to save where possible, there is no good reason not to start using coupons. They are available, lots of free online ones & they come cheap with the cost of a sunday paper. Just give it a try. 
As much as Chris prefers not to do the shopping with me, he appreciates the effort to save. And in the 6 months or so I have been doing this, I have saved hundreds between groceries, medicines, and hygiene items. 

5 comments:

Bargain Briana said...

Great Shopping Trip! :) I'm totally impressed! :)

Susan Sene said...

Haha thanks for the shout-out! And you're right, I DO appreciate this post! Haha. Septtro has actually been coming with me a few times...I think he gets almost or more excited than I do about our deals. He still asks me "Is that a good deal?" cause I'm a little more familiar with what's really a good price. But he's improving each trip! We went to triple coupons at Bloom this weekend and paid $5 Saturday and $23 yesterday for well over $50 of groceries. You really should tell Chris he needs to go - he'll appreciate the work that much more and it will help on days you can't go shopping. Plus, it's just more fun when somebody is there and it helps save time. Septtro even helps cut out the coupons sometimes! I have a spreadsheet I'm keeping track of how much we're saving...haven't entered data in a while but I'm excited to see the results. Ok I'm done with my mini blog post! Haha.

Chris Kauffman said...

I love you my little coupon nerd! Happy Birthday! Thanks for saving us money.

Jeremy said...

Hey...congratulations on the big news.

Jaimi Thomsen said...

Kroger does double coupons up to a dollar :p i think on tuesdays