Thursday, November 20, 2008

I Want to Be Like Her


Mrs. Joann McKinney is one of the sweetest ladies I have ever known.

Mrs. McKinney goes to our church. I have known her for most of my life. Aside from being one of my best friends grandmother, she was my sunday school teacher in middle school. She has taught and loved more people than I could even number. Isn't that perfect?! Everytime she sees Chris or me at church she smiles so big and gives us sweet hugs. She also invites us over for dinner every now and then.
This is one of my favorite things for 2 reasons.

#1 She can cook!! (and always has dessert)
#2 Basically the whole time we are there we hear countless stories of children and teens that Mrs. Mckinney has taught over the years. Chris and I know many of those students, but even if we don't, we get to hear about them. But the thing is, Mrs Mckinney isn't just telling a story about a person. The reason we love hearing her stories is because of what they tell us about HER. Man, she LOVES every last person she tells us about and it is so clear in each story. I am convinced that she prays for each one by name...in fact I know she does.

We have had so many encouraging conversations with Mrs. Mckinney. She is SO supportive of Chris's ministry at our church. Chris - knowing she would be the perfect person for the job - recently asked her to commit to praying for the families and children we would come into contact with through the Upward Basketball & Cheerleading program. He also asked her to try to find 10 others to pray as well. ....she found over 30. :) AND asked how much her sunday school class could give to help pay for children who couldn't afford to play. (Fortunately we have never had or been willing to turn anyone away).

One time, mrs. Mckinney told me and Chris that she just didn't understand why some people get so "set in their ways" when they get older. She said that she didn't see any reason to get so upset about what songs we sing in church or how we sing them - the important thing was that we were worshipping Jesus and reaching out to others! She said that if you spend all of your time pushing your feet down into the ground and get bitter just to stay where you are on things that don't matter in eternity - you will get left behind...and she wasn't planning on doing that. Wow! (She meant left behind in your ability to be a light to others and remain an active part of your church - not Left Behind as in the book series). :)

Mrs. Mckinney is everyone's encourager. I have learned so much from her and I hope that when I grow up ;) I can be as loving and prayerful and encouraging as she is. Everyone should know a Mrs. Mckinney...

1 comment:

Susan Sene said...

I know a lady like that...lucky for me, she's my mom. :) God bless those types of people!